Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Preseason: Avs beat Stars

The Avalanche beat the stars last night in the first preseason game, 4-1 with 3 power play goals. The story today, though, is goaltending.

From the Rocky Mountain News:

If his first two training camp performances are any indication, Jose Theodore already is prepared to begin the regular season.

One day after stopping all 21 shots he faced in the Avalanche's Burgundy and White exhibition, the 30-year-old goalie was nearly perfect Tuesday night in the team's preseason opener.

Don't start shouting about how it's only preseason, I realize that. But it is nice to see something positive about the guy right now. It's preseason, but at least this is based on performance.

Since we have one two papers in town, the other can talk about Peter Budaj. From the Denver Post:

How much action the Avalanche's backup goalie gets in general this coming season is probably more predictable than it was in 2005-06. Last season, Budaj ranked anywhere from first to third on the Avs' goalie depth chart, depending on the month.

Yep, all goalies all the time. As for the lines, Brunette - Sakic - Hejduk were the main line, but that's about all I have:

Last night was the draft for the Waiting For Stanley draft. Afterwords, we went over to one of my sub-blogs for a little smackdown. The chat lasted for about 3 hours, and was hilarious. Trades were made, insults were slung, and much drinking ensued. You could almost see Hodge regretting his choices as he tried one single-sided trade after another. (Brunette-Liles for Gaborik-Demetra?) Today he posts his inaccurate assessment of the night. Earl Sleek for the Battle of Earl California took on a couple of Ducks, proving how married to his team he is. It is kind of cute, though, not being able to give up a few Ducks for more points. He is the perfect person to be blogging the Ducks. As for me, I have a few choices I may regret. But, for a first time draft, drafting seventh out of eight, I feel I did pretty good. A few late round sneaks, a decent (but hated) goalie, and, even though the big time scoring leaders were gone by the time I got there, a decent mix up front. We'll have to see.

Technorati : , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Earl Sleek said...

That is, until Zanstorm decides to change the rules midseason to accommodate his poor drafting.

(Defensemen = optional)

Tapeleg said...

Hodge, really, cominig to my blog just for some name calling? Not very classy.

You are right. I may not know how all the rules work. But I guess I'm going to find out. It does seem that I have a few things you want, though.